Sadly, criminals are posing as organisations such as banks, governments or health service providers to try to steal money during the coronavirus outbreak.
It's important to be aware of the latest scams so you don't give away personal or financial information.
Protect yourself against fraud
What are the known scams related to COVID in Malaysia?
We would like to urge everyone to be cautious and remain alert to perpetration of scams concerning product applications promoted through social media, emails and phone calls from suspicious numbers.
There have been also cases where scammers are posting advertisements passing off as trusted organisations like banks and scammers may also pretend to offer a safe haven for your money or medical guidance and proceed to trick you into making a payment into a safe account, giving personal and/or financial information.
Cyber criminals are also trying to spread malware through 'Coronavirus Map' apps. It has no intention of providing useful information, but instead is designed to capture user names, passwords, credit card numbers and other sensitive data. Please don't click on links from sources that you don't know.
How can I protect myself?
Please be aware that:
- The Bank will not request any personal income documents via chat applications (such as Whatsapp, WeChat, etc.).
- Beware of fake business cards and email addresses. Our HSBC and HSBC Amanah email addresses always end with @hsbc.com.my, for example, email@example.com.
- We will never ask you via social media or e-mail to provide your PINs, passwords, personal details or to move money to a safe account.
- We will never request payment upfront or processing fees for any of our loan/financing and deferment plan.
- As a good practice, customers should access www.hsbc.com.my or www.hsbcamanah.com.my directly to start an Online Banking session and not via a link.
What if I am a victim of fraud, or suspect fraud?
Featured help and support articles
Do your banking from home
Get help with online banking or our mobile banking app (on compatible devices) without having to leave your home.
We're here to help
Help and advice for mortgages, credit cards, loans, savings accounts and business customers.
See what you can do through online and mobile banking without leaving home.